Sunday, May 17, 2009

Need a Light?


"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105


Enjoy reading Psalm 119


When I was a child, if my mother walked into a dimly lit room, she would reach for a lamp switch and say "let's shed a little light on the subject". When I think about it, I can still hear the click of the lamp switch and feel the light flood the room. I first read this verse from Psalms many years ago, and it felt as though a light was turned on in my spirit. I was drawn to this verse, as God showed me that His word will shed light at anytime- even the darkest times- of my life.

I love to teach children the word of God, and how important it is to their lives. This verse has been the basis of my teaching. I have played with kids what I call "The Flashlight Game". I begin the game with hidden objects around a dark room. The kids set out excitedly to hunt for these objects, but of course, they cannot find them in the dark. (They mainly end up trying to avoid bumping into things and each other). I then turn on a night light. The kids can now somewhat see where they are going, but they cannot find the items. Next, I set a bright flashlight in the middle of the room. Moving more quickly, they begin to find a few of the objects. (It is always enjoyable to listen to their reactions when they begin finding the hidden objects).
Finally, I turn on the room's full light and the kids quickly find all of the objects. The point of my game is to teach them that the more they allow God's word into their lives, the more they will "see" and understand.

God's word will give us knowledge and wisdom beyond our human comprehension. I don't believe there is any question, thought, confusion, decision, hurt, discouragement or sin that God's word cannot illuminate; however, it must be read (or heard) to enter our hearts & minds and sweep away any darkness. A lamp in the dark is no good unless it's turned on...and God's word cannot "shed any light on the subject" if it's neglected- at any time.

If a situation in your life seems dark, allow God to shed some light through His word. Rather than stumbling in confusion or discouragement hoping to find the answers...turn on the lamp of God's word. Let the light from what He says flood your soul. Soak it in. Let it scatter the darkness. You will find what seems hidden.


"God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all" 1 John 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment