Saturday, June 13, 2009

Almond Flavoring




"...search out a matter..." Proverbs 25:2

Enjoy reading Numbers 17:1-13



I've always enjoyed researching. Elementary school through college I researched many topics from Robins to Multi-modal Therapy. I loved learning something new and the feeling of being an expert (at least temporarily) on my researched subject. While most kids groaned when a teacher assigned a research project, I couldn't wait to get to the library.



I find taking some time to research portions of Scripture very valuable. It can bring flavor to a passage and an open door to a spiritual meaning I otherwise might not understand. God has tucked in so many nuggets of truth and inspiration throughout His Word and He wants us to search them out.


Numbers 17 is an example of a portion of Scripture I had read many times but never paid very much attention. One day I found myself asking "why did God make Almond buds appear on Aaron's rod? What do almonds have to do with settling a dispute over leadership?" I began to do a little research on almonds (online encyclopedias/dictionaries/ Bible Study sites are a tremendous help). Here are a few facts I discovered:


1) Almond trees are the first flowering trees of the season

2) The flowers appear before the leaves

3) The flowers form on dead wood

4) The Hebrew word for almond means "hasten" and "wakeful"

5) Almonds are a symbol of watchfulness and promise



At this point you may be asking "so what?" and I wouldn't blame you. I will leave the spiritual significance to you and your time with God, but my spirit jumped for joy when I came across these facts. God immediately opened my eyes to something HE was teaching me about leadership. What flavor these few bits of understanding added to my reading! God led me to this passage- but left it up to me to search it out. By taking a few extra minutes to seek out what I didn't understand, God revealed great understanding to me.


God will do the same for you. Any chapter- any verse- do a little research. Each time you search out a matter you will learn something new. There is rich (almond) flavoring available to help you gain wisdom and understanding in what God is teaching you through His word.


"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it costs you, whatever else you get, get understanding". Proverbs 4:7

2 comments: