Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jeremiah's Prayer- When Things Don't Make Sense

"I prayed to the Lord saying..." Jeremiah 32:16
Enjoy reading Jeremiah 32



Jeremiah's prayer in verses 16-25 is one of my favorites in the Bible. It isn't one I hear or read about often, but I find myself reading this prayer over and over. I believe it shows the real and trusting relationship Jeremiah had with God. (The writings of Jeremiah contain numerous prayers to and dialogues with God and is well worth the read. Be prepared for a feeling of heaviness, however; Jeremiah is known as the "weeping prophet").



I don't think I'd want to be in Jeremiah's shoes, although I almost envy the straight forward, trusting, honest conversations he had with God that always resulted in obedience. Jeremiah was tender hearted and yet he stayed committed to God's call during one of the saddest, most difficult times in Israelite history. While the other prophets of the time had already passed away or been taken into Babylonian captivity, Jeremiah witnessed the destruction of his beloved Jerusalem. Jeremiah's faith in God was unshakable.



Jeremiah was told by God (and He sent along a side of confirmation) to do something that didn't make sense. While Jeremiah was in prison (for being obedient) and his country was in the final stages of "foreclosure" by Nebuchadnezzar, God instructs him to invest in real estate. (This would have left me with nothing to say but "huh?".) Instead of trying to figure it out or make sense out of it, Jeremiah obeyed and did as God said. This particular obedient act of Jeremiah speaks volumes to me, and moves my heart as he begins to pray.



It's the when and how of Jeremiah's prayer that stops me in my tracks every time. Jeremiah didn't ask "why?" before obeying. He obeyed first and asked questions later. When Jeremiah opens his mouth to speak, praise comes before the question. He praises God for His mighty power, strength, provision & justice before bringing up the "confusing" land purchase. He keeps everything in perspective- there is no complaining with his prayer...and God answers-immediately. Jeremiah's prayer helps remind me that the way I speak to God could have have an effect on how and when He answers, and to accept the answer God gives.



Has God asked something of you that seems to "make no sense"? I've been there- and I constantly find it is because I cannot see the bigger picture. This is what Jeremiah learned. God asked him to do something that would give hope to his people for decades to come. Jeremiah couldn't see it at first, but God's answer made it all clear. When I have no clue, I know that God always has the right answers. As long as my heart is right before Him, I know I can ask those "I don't get it" questions. God went on to tell Jeremiah "call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things which you do not know". (Jeremiah 33:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment